Cornell University has formed a committee to search for a new Weill Cornell Medicine dean and provost for medical affairs. Co-chaired by Cornell University Interim President Hunter R. Rawlings III and Weill Cornell Medicine Board of Overseers Chairman Jessica Bibliowicz, the committee is tasked with selecting the institution's next leader, who will take the reins during a period of unprecedented growth.
The new dean will succeed Dr. Laurie H. Glimcher, who announced in February that she would be leaving Weill Cornell Medicine to lead the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
The search committee comprises 19 members who have a deep and comprehensive understanding of Weill Cornell Medicine’s commitment to enhancing human health by providing exemplary and individualized patient care, making groundbreaking biomedical discoveries, and educating generations of exceptional doctors and scientists. In addition to Rawlings and Bibliowicz, the committee includes board members from Cornell and Weill Cornell Medicine, senior administrators, faculty, alumni and students, as well as NewYork-Presbyterian leadership:
- Robert Appel, vice chair of the Weill Cornell Medicine Board of Overseers
- Dr. Avery August, chair of microbiology and immunology at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine
- Dr. David Blumenthal, clinical professor of medicine at Weill Cornell Medicine
- Dr. Lewis Cantley, Meyer Director of the Meyer Cancer Center at Weill Cornell Medicine
- Dr. Steven Corwin, president and chief executive officer of NewYork-Presbyterian
- Dr. Deborah Estrin, professor of computer science at Cornell Tech and professor of public health at Weill Cornell Medicine
- Barbara Friedman, vice chair of the Weill Cornell Medicine Board of Overseers
- Robert Harrison, chairman of the Cornell University Board of Trustees
- Dr. Barbara Hempstead, senior associate dean for education at Weill Cornell Medicine
- Dr. Gary Koretzky, dean of the Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences and vice dean for research at Weill Cornell Medicine
- Dr. Michael Kotlikoff, provost of Cornell University
- Raul Martinez-McFaline, M.D.-Ph.D. student in the Tri-Institutional M.D.-Ph.D. Program and Weill Cornell Medicine student overseer
- Edward Meyer, member of the Weill Cornell Medicine Board of Overseers
- Dr. Carl Nathan, chairman of microbiology and immunology at Weill Cornell Medicine
- Timothy O’Neill, member of the Weill Cornell Medicine Board of Overseers
- Dr. Gene Resnick, past president of the Weill Cornell Medical College Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Dr. Michael G. Stewart, vice dean and the E. Darracott Vaughan Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs at Weill Cornell Medicine
Dr. Augustine Choi, the Weill Chairman of the Weill Department of Medicine at Weill Cornell Medicine and physician-in-chief at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center, was named interim dean effective June 1. Glimcher will continue as an adviser at Weill Cornell Medicine through Aug. 31.